BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Roma viva!

This week I’m not watching too many disks or reading too many books because it’s Rome week on the History channel! Monday had an interesting 2 hours on engineering feats by the Ancient Romans. As I always say, after the fall of Rome, civilization fell into a black hole of ignorance. Even today I see people are scratching their heads over the achievements of Ancient Rome. The technology and will-power that drove them to greater and greater feats of engineering disappeared when they were defeated, and took nearly 1500 years for it to resurface.

But the most startling revelation of the show was that Peter Weller, the actor, is a Roman scholar. At first I thought it was some professor who just happened to have the same name as the “Robocop” actor, but then I Googled him and found out that professor and actor are one and the same! Well… good for him. It’s about time actors do something other than become Beverly Hills real estate agents or directors. Apparently he is working on his Master’s degree in Roman and Renaissance art and teaching at Syracuse University. Wow! Doesn’t even have his M.A. yet and he’s already an expert! (Just a slight twinge of sarcasm and a slightly larger twinge of jealousy.)

I wish I was an expert on something… maybe if I spent less time watching movies and reading books, then I could take a class or two… of course I would have to squeeze it in-between the other classes I’m taking for my very own Master’s degree…

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >
www.netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle.
As for books, my thanks go out to www.amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to.
For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

LIBRARIANS: the GPS locators in a wilderness of information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home