BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Friday, September 09, 2005

Dune done

I finished Dune by Frank Herbert and it was very good. The first third of the book introduces us to the world of Dune and various members of the House Atreides. By the mid-point of the book however, it is just a litany of death. Characters that were likable, but not entirely fleshed out are killed off. The final third of the book takes off in a very exciting way. Hints about the Fremen’s world are finally explained clearly. This is coupled with a rising tide of prophesy (drug-induced and otherwise) and just plain action.

However, after the final battle, the book doesn’t quite end for me… it just stops. After years of holding a grudge, Thufir Hawat’s apology and suicide was quick and strange. Also, we finally get to meet Princess Irulan whose book excerpts have introduced each chapter, but we never get to REALLY meet her. She is married to Paul then dismissed by his mother and his concubine. I feel sorry for her and wished to know more about her.

I guess I’m going to have to read the rest of the books now. But if the second one is worse (which is often the case with popular series) then I won’t waste my time.

Speaking of which, I have finally given up on Monarch of the Glen. I had the second disk of season 2 sitting on my desk for over a week and just couldn’t whip up the energy to watch it. So I sent it back to Netflix… UNWATCHED!! That was the first time I ever did that. I continue to watch the later seasons on PBS but even that is irksome. The marriage of Lexie and Archie has finally taken place after her bizarre meltdown when Katrina came back to town. After tracking the runaway down across the glen, Archie marries her! If this is what their wedding day is like, this marriage won’t last very long.

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >
www.netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle.
As for books, my thanks go out to www.amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to.
For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

LIBRARIANS: the GPS locators in a wilderness of information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home