BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Mine, all mine!

All the movies I talked about before were rentals; I rarely spend money to keep anything. However, this past month two DVD sets have found a happy place in my home.

The Harold Lloyd collection consists of a total of seven discs in a great boxed set. Nearly every one of this great comedian’s feature films are in this set (one of my favorites, “Professor Beware”, alas is not included.) Also included are a handful of his more famous shorts, and many other extras.

I am watching these movies slowly and with great pleasure. Like a premier box of chocolates I don’t want to eat them all up at once. So far I have watched the first disc which includes the classic film “Safety Last.” Commentary on this film is provided by film scholars Leonard Maltin and Richard Correll.

This first disc covers the range of leading ladies Harold Lloyd had including the GREAT Bebe Daniels in “Ask Father”, Jobyna Ralston in “Girl Shy” and Harold’s future wife, Mildred Davis in “Safety Last.”

My only problem with this set (besides the absence of “Professor Beware”) is that it is in no particular order. I find that I can see an evolution of his work when I watch his stuff in the order that he made it. His very early stuff (including the Lonesome Luke pieces) was a bit slapdash thanks to the hurried work of director Hal Roach, but as control shifted and “The Boy” character became more defined, we begin to really see Harold Lloyd’s genius.

The other addition to my personal collection is the DVD/CD combo of “Rush 30th anniversary concert” from Frankfurt, Germany. I really like Rush. This Canadian power trio put the “Progressive” in “Progressive Rock” and this collection of concerts and extras celebrates this evolution. From long-haired, pajama-wearing, gong bongers to geeky sci-fi spouting, Ayn Rand zombies to techno-electro, lets-see-how-many-instruments-we-can-play-at-once, big 80’s hair to Oh-NO rapping, talking drums, let’s-go-solo, motorcycle diaries, to a gigantic black hole of personal tragedies (missed the 25th anniversary), to mad, crazy back-to-back world tours, remembering our roots with no more techno, no more gong, no more talking drums, and “Lets just play the hell out of one instrument each.” It’s been an interesting 30 years.

So cheers to Neil, Geddy, and the blond one (Just joking Alex!) Congrats on 30 years, and I hope there are many more to come!

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >LIBRARIANS: the books, the fame, the fortune… What more could you want? (Maybe more books.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home