BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Reading at Home

At home in my idle moments I have been working on my shelf of “readables.” This is supposed to be only one shelf full of books that I am interested in reading, and then passing them along to a book sale or something. But the shelf gets longer and longer as I find myself with less and less free time. After a weekend visit to a book sale (I had promised myself that I wouldn’t buy anything!) I came away with three “readables.” So, I took one down from the shelf to get going on reading it.

I chose “The Sybil in her Grave” by Sarah Caldwell. This is a crackin’ good mystery full of really likable characters. The best thing is that the mystery is not gruesome, no one is murdered or anything, it is just a mystery, full of mysterious characters and strange goings-on. It’s also quite funny when it needs to be. I plowed through more than half of it this weekend and hope to finish it this week.

(Written later) – Okay, a couple of people have died, but everyone thinks it’s natural causes. I read a mystery a few months ago... I don’t think I blogged it…where the murders were unfathomably gruesome. Two people gunned down in a bookstore. It really was too much. Then, the murderer supposedly tra-la-la-ed back to his own bookstore and no one suspected because he was so coooooool. I suspect real murderers would be acting strange after they kill someone.

On a further note, my “readables” are under the auspices of the rule of 50. I read about this on a bookmark. Seriously… I collect bookmarks and you can find some fascinating tidbits of philosophy on a bookmark. Anyway, the rule of 50 is that since there are so many books, and time is so short, you should only read the first 50 pages of a book to determine if you should continue. If the first 50 aren’t gripping, then drop the book. Put it down and back away slowly!

If you are over 50 years old, then subtract your age from 100 and only read that many pages. For instance, if you are 70 years old, only read 30 pages (100 - 70 = 30.) This is a handy tip since I do force myself to finish what I have started, no matter how bad it is.

I also read somewhere (possible on a bookmark) that it is best NOT to read fiction just before you go to bed since it stimulates your imagination so much that you may be kept awake by dreams. So, this week’s non-fiction readable is “Green Tea” which started off with a very interesting history of tea. From the fields of China, to the massive exportation around the world, the history of tea is fraught with peril. I love it! The rest of the book is about how beneficial green tea is. Yum.

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >
LIBRARIANS: the books, the fame, the fortune… What more could you want? (Maybe more books.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home