BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Serenity Now!

Firefly the movie! I waited a long time for this. I was expecting excitement, hilarity, big screen action and the return of all the gang… and I came away from the movie sad and heartbroken. This is not how I wanted to feel. I shouldn’t say now what happened in the movie to make me feel so miserable, but I will once all the fans have seen for themselves. As a fan myself, I will buy the DVD when it is out and see if Josh Wedon (writer and creator) has a decent explanation for what he did. I can see no reason. Shock value has no place in “Firefly.” We know life is cruel, but Serenity was a haven. Those in it were broken to begin with, and might get hurt sometimes, but no should have to… well, I’ve said too much already. Let’s move on to the general pros and cons of the film itself.

On the plus side, the movie opens with an awesome walk-through of the ship. It starts on the outside, goes through the front window into the bridge (a little banter between Mal and Wash), then Mal goes down the corridor, banters with Zoe, banters with Jayne, into the kitchen, into the engine room (yells at Kaylee), back out to the hold (argues with Simon), fires up the new and improved Mule and out the back. Wonderful, this is Josh at his best, showing us the ship and its symbiotic relationship with the beloved crew. Strangely missing is Book and Inara who we find out later, have gone off at some time and are doing their own thing. Away from the ship, these two looked radically different from the show. Inara somehow didn’t look quite so glamorous and Book looked old beyond his years.

There’s a great deal to be said on the negative side (see the first paragraph), but I will only talk about the structure. Unlike the series, there was little quiet time for the crew due to the motion picture level of constant action. The banter was also somewhat rushed and hard to catch on occasion. Another point is that there were very few questions from the series answered. Kaylee gets to kiss Simon, but Mal and Inara’s relationship isn’t addressed. We will never know what Book’s secret was or the romantic beginnings of Wash and Zoe. The men with the blue hands never showed up and the Blue Sun Corporation was never mentioned. The main question that they did answer, “What are the origins of the Reavers?” was one that I never even bothered to ask.

Right now, I can’t say too much more about the movie; I’m still moving through the seven stages of grieving. I think I’m at the “Hurt Josh” level.

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >
LIBRARIANS: the books, the fame, the fortune… What more could you want? (Maybe more books.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home