BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Friday, September 30, 2005

Firefly Disc 4

The movie’s coming! Here’s the last of the episodes…

“The Message” – What was the message, besides the dead body that was mailed to Mal and Zoe? It is “When you can’t run, then crawl, and when you can’t crawl, get someone to carry you.” Throughout this episode, the last part was never spoken; we didn’t know what the message was until the very end. But another message is clear for this crew. Mal and Zoe may have a permanent link to their old war buddies, but they are even more loyal to their current crew.

“Heart of Gold” – so, there are regular, run of the mill whores left in the universe. I feel better now. Some episodes come very close to being a western. This one crosses the line. Is it SF or is it a western? This is the question at the core of “Firefly.” It’s less of a western than “Gunsmoke”, and less of a SF than “StarTrek.” In the middle ground between the two “Firefly” has found a happy home. A home free from fancy laser weapons, free of aliens with bumpy foreheads, free of alternate universes with convenient deus-ex-machina endings… free of all the trappings of SF, and with more horses.

“Objects in Space” – the most awesome episode. This one was a great way to wrap up the truncated series. Even though River’s powers are still not explained or defined, at least she and Kaylee are friends again. A scene where Inara plans on leaving the ship was cut out for continuity’s sake. But it can be found in deleted scenes.

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >LIBRARIANS: the books, the fame, the fortune… What more could you want? (Maybe more books.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home