BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Monday, September 19, 2005

Samurai Deeper Who?

I’ve just finished 6 discs, 26 episodes of Samurai Deeper Kyo, and it wasn’t too bad. The premise of two samurai souls in one body was initially interesting and held a great deal of promise. Especially since the two samurai in question were mortal enemies.

But then the show got weird… First they said that Hideyoshi Ieysu (sp?) was a demon controlled by other demons. Then they say that Nobunaga was a “Demon King.” Egads!!! Nobunaga?? A demon bent on destruction of all humans?? How can they say stuff like that?

Note: For those of you not too familiar with Japanese history, it would be like saying that Thomas Jefferson was actually an alien life form from the planet Ultron 3, where they draw their nutrients from eating human brains. And then saying that Jefferson ate the brains of all his political opponents in order to gain power and the mental capacity to control his slaves telepathically. Do you think I could get away with saying stuff like that??

But the most confusing part of SDK was when they tried (with unendurable exposition) to explain all that had been going on from the beginning and what it all means. I still don’t get it. Kyo never existed, Kyoshiro is a nasty bad guy (and not a funny pervert of a medicine man), and Nobunaga is the Demon King!

Well, it turns out that Kyoshiro is not all that bad; he and Kyo are just two parts of the same person. Each part having developed into a separate entity… This is all so confusing. The ending reminds me of “Trigun” or “FLCL” with its desperate attempt to bring some semblance of logic to an increasingly illogical story. This is the epitome of “Making it up as we go along.” But it was okay and it ended painlessly… as has this blog entry.

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >
LIBRARIANS: the books, the fame, the fortune… What more could you want? (Maybe more books.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home