BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Alaska Ho!

I’m mid-way through “RVing Alaska and Canada” by Sharlene “Charlie” Minshall. This book is all about traveling to the North Country in an RV and the adventures that Charlie had in her three trips there. The beginning is a bit dry as it simply lists helpful hints to those who are planning the trip. Since I’m not going anyplace interesting for a while, I settled back to enjoy another person’s adventures and mis-adventures.

The main part of the book is a bit choppy since it tries to relate three different routes on three different occasions. But, with a decent map in front of you, you too can travel along with Charlie. (I’m getting nostalgic for John Steinbeck all of a sudden.)

She relates unflinchingly the mistakes she made along the way so that you don’t make the same ones. She also tries to relate the beauty of Alaska and Canada, but only a million more pictures could help. There are a few black and white photos scattered about but none can express what is truly there.

I am enchanted at the moment by a library in Eagle Pass, Alaska where, says Charlie, the town gathers during the long, dark winter nights to get books and tapes. I am putting this library on my list of libraries to visit. I also would like to see the university library in Fairbanks.

This books really makes you want to go and live your dreams!

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >
LIBRARIANS: the GPS locators in a wilderness of information. Some day when I grow up, I wanna be a librarian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home