BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Monday, September 12, 2005

News and Notes

My friend “Rita” has started a blog here at Blogger. Find out what Rita’s reading at http://ritabook.blogspot.com

I taped most of “Rome” week on the History channel so I will be reviewing them in fits and starts. I noticed that I don’t talk a lot about the regular television shows I watch because I don’t watch too many. But here’s a breakdown day by day.

Sunday – “Law and Order: Criminal Intent”: I once was a big fan of the original LI show, but when Michael Moriarty left I didn’t stay with it too much longer. But this show is closer to the traditional British mystery than most American shows. Vincent Donofrio plays the intensely intelligent (and vaguely non-social) lead detective who likes going to a library. This season with the addition of Chris Noth (from the original L.I.) the “street smarts” factor will be upped. I hope this isn’t a bad omen. I really like the “book smarts” factor.

Monday – This summer I’ve been watching “History Detectives” on PBS. But for a while now, the show is increasingly disappointing. Two of the four “detectives” are just antiques dealers and I don’t trust their expertise… only when it comes to saying how much a family heirloom is worth, which to me is not the point of historical interest. I’d like to think that behind the hosts is a phalanx of librarians and professional researchers getting the story straight.

Also on Mondays is “Weird USA” on the History Channel by two guys from New Jersey. When I lived there I remember their kooky magazines “Weird N.J.” The show is very much the same as the mag and great fun to watch.

Wednesdays I try to watch “Mythbusters” on the Discovery channel. But lately a great deal of the show is taken up with other people besides Jamie and Adam, the regular hosts. There’s Lidia the tattooed lady, Punky Brewster (all growed up!), and Soul Patch, the man with no personality. I don’t much like these other people and so I don’t watch the show as much. I don’t mind a few kooky characters on occasion, but Jamie (the pretend military guy) and Adam (the pretend adult) are about as much as I can handle.

Everyday during the week I get all the news I need from the Daily Show and occasional visits to the Weather Channel. I’m not interested in the fluff and nonsense that goes on in this world unless it is portrayed as fluff and nonsense as on the Daily Show.

Saturdays are a big deal, so more on that later.

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >
www.netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle.
As for books, my thanks go out to www.amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to.
For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

LIBRARIANS: the GPS locators in a wilderness of information.Some day when I grow up, I wanna be a librarian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home