BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Friday, September 16, 2005

Firefly Disc #3 Part 1

The countdown to the movie is on! Only two more weeks and two more discs to review.

Out of Gas – Probably one of the best all-round episodes. As Mal struggles to fix Serenity he flashes back to two levels of the past: The far past when he bought the ship and brought the crew together, and the more recent past when Serenity breaks down and life support stops. The three levels of time are intertwined as Mal moves through the ship, with only lighting changes to help the audience adapt.

But more important than the technical aspects is the crew and their initial impressions. We find out that carefree, mustachioed Wash didn’t initially make much of an impression on Zoë. Free-lovin’ Kaylee made a big impression… it also explains some of her attraction to Simon. But the most important meeting was with Jayne… we now know where his true loyalties are, Jayne is only loyal to Jayne.

The final scene still raises the hairs on the back of my neck. Mal is staring off in the distance while a used-space ship salesman tries to interest him in something. And what is Mal so interested in? Serenity, sitting apart from the others, looking as serene as her name implies.

Ariel – As Kaylee so succinctly sums up at the end, first they kill Simon and River, then they steal some medicine, then they spring the others that got snatched by the feds. River’s pursuers are defined a little more in this episode. The men with the blue hands don’t seem to be feds from the Alliance, nor do they seem entirely human. Their eerie “Men in Black” creepy weapon makes their slow but inexorable chase seem that much more horrible.

Everyone manages to escape intact, the crew has some booty, and Simon has some medical information that could help River. But even he seems perplexed by what “they” did to her. The movie promises to explain all.

Also in this episode, Jayne’s treachery comes to fruition. But a last minute flare of humanity saves him from being sucked out to space. The others may not be aware of what has happened, but Mal will never forget.

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >
LIBRARIANS: the GPS locators in a wilderness of information.Some day when I grow up, I wanna be a librarian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home