BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Dune the Movie

I realize that most movies are radically different from the book they came from. This one had the standard condensation of plot and elimination of lesser scenes for the sake of time. But it also had some completely new stuff like the “weirding” weapons, and the folding of space by the mutated Guild members. There was a great deal of unnecessary voice-over thoughts. Many of these asides were not needed especially if the actors were doing their jobs. However, it certainly wasn’t as bad or redundant as Bruce Willis’ blithery opening in the movie “Last Man Standing.”

The last scene where it rained was very bizarre… what did it mean? Was Paul a God? In the book there was a lot of prophesy and the coming of the “One,” but I believed it was all just the clever planning of the Bene Gesserit. The movie didn’t have any of that prophesy-seeding stuff and made it seem like the Gods really sent Paul.

David Lynch probably made it more “mystical” just like he makes most of his films, but even so it didn’t really feel like a Lynch film. There isn’t enough time in the world to afford this movie the same slow, tempered pace that is the hallmark of a Lynch film. But you can still have fun pointing out his standard cast of players, and the director himself as a spice miner.

Overall, it was a decent movie. Netflix has the mini-series version that was made more recently, but I will wait a while to watch that since I am all Duned out.

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >LIBRARIANS: the books, the fame, the fortune… What more could you want? (Maybe more books.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home