BookDragon

I love books! What more can I say? Netflix.com provides me with all the DVD’s I can handle. As for books, my thanks go out to Amazon.com, Borders (a chai latte, please!) and all the used book sales I can get to. For anything I can’t find in any of these places, I go to my local library. (Interlibrary Loans are SHINY!)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, United States

I'm a librarian! But enough about me... tell me about yourself!

Monday, October 17, 2005

Jidai Geki!

I’ve been watching some great Japanese television shows lately. One of my favorites, “Hachibori no Seven” is about a group of police detectives in the Shogun-era. I like the main characters, especially Hachibei and Aoyama. All the rest of the seven get their chance in the spotlight every now and then, so we get to know them pretty well as well.

I also recently bought the first season of “Abarenbo Shogun.” It’s about a young shogun who likes to disguise himself as an ordinary samurai and go out and help people. The fight scenes at the end are always awesome and this series features the only ninja that I ever liked. I don’t know if I’ll get any more seasons, the show was on for over 10 years!

Also in my packet of goodies was last year’s taiga drama, “Shinsengumi!” I’ve only watched one episode of the series and it looks great! For those of you who don’t know who the Shinsengumi were, here is Doloho’s handy-dandy “Japanese History in a Nutshell.”

Tokugawa Shogunate military leaders ruled Japan from 1603 (the Battle of Sekigahara.) Their policy of isolationism came to an abrupt halt with the arrival of Commodore Perry and his “Black Ships” in 1854. This threw the Japanese into a Civil War (the Bakumatsu) which pitted the Shogun’s forces against the Emperor’s Imperial forces. A special force of elite swordsmen was formed by the Shogun to protect the people of Kyoto. This force, (the Shinsengumi) saved many lives, even stopping a plot to burn Kyoto down by the Imperial rebels in 1864. Alas, the Shogun eventually lost the war, ushering in the “Meiji Restoration.” Many of the members of the Shinsengumi didn’t live to see this new era, but they are still to this day thought of as heroes of Kyoto.

Well, anyway, this show gives a more human face to these heroes as well as showing the doubt and confusion that racks most people who are on the cusp of a new era. The first episode begins with the arrival of the Black Ships and everyone wonders what the future may hold for Japan.

<*<*<*<>*>*>* >
LIBRARIANS: the books, the fame, the fortune… What more could you want? (Maybe more books.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home